- DO YOUR RESEARCH: Joining already existing organisations that need extra volunteer support means a coordinated community response.
- REACH OUT TO NEIGHBOURS: Talking to and supporting your neighbours builds resilience within your community both during and after an emergency.
- SHARE YOUR RESOURCES: If you have more than what you need, consider donating spare to food banks or community pantries.
- STAY INFORMED AND BE SAFE: Keep informed from official resources only to ensure best practice and how to keep safe while supporting the community.
Before volunteering at this time, please read:
- Updated guidelines for volunteers working under COVID-19 Alert Level 2 conditions.
- Volunteer Organisation Guidelines
- Volunteering during covid19
These should be used along with any volunteering operational guidelines provided by the service provider
Click here to register as a volunteer.
By registering on our database so you can shortlist, request referrals and make it easy to apply for roles.
Click here to search our database of current available volunteer roles and get in touch with one of our member organisations. See below for instructions on how to register and use the Volunteer Database.
NB: Roles are uploaded by our members and some may be either no longer relevant or require change in service delivery during the COVID-19 lock down. Many organisations are living and working under very different circumstances so please be patient and return frequently to view new and updated roles.
COVID-19: Volunteering in a new “normal”
Keen to volunteer but don’t know what you can do in a lock down? Here’s some ideas:
- Register on our volunteer database (see below). Once you have registered, you will be ready to offer your support to our members when they list their volunteer roles.
- From time to time we will mobilise volunteers on behalf of our members. Like us on Facebook so you’re the first to know how you can help.
- Check on your neighbours (from a distance). Do they need something picked up from the supermarket or pharmacy? BYO chair and cuppa and stay for a chat through an open door or window.
- When applying for a role through our website ensure that you check with the listing organisation if they have protocols in place regarding COVID-19.
- If the role/event you have applied for is no longer available ask if there are other ways you can help; be mindful that we are all looking at how we can support each other with the social limitations we are and will be needing to adhere to.
- Outdoor conservation or gardening roles where it is easier to keep recommended distances.
- Look for online volunteering and roles that can be done from home.
- Connect via phone or other online tools with people who are self-isolating; physical distancing does not mean social isolation.
- Neighbourhood Pods – Check on what needs are arising in your neighbourhood, coordinate a neighbourhood group chat or phone tree, and staying in touch.
- The best way you can help is being mindful of the changing situation we are all in – be kind and wash your hands!
Source: Volunteering BOP and Volunteering Auckland